Tuesday, March 27, 2012
A fire that started in the basement of a three-unit apartment in Scott early Tuesday morning left at least four without a home.
At least four people are displaced from their residences after fire started in the basement of a three-unit apartment building in Scott Township early Tuesday morning. Six departments responded to the fire on Mansfield Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday that apparently started in the basement and caused heavy smoke to billow from the building, Glendale firefighters said. The residents are displaced, but were able to find their own living arrangements and won’t have to use the American Red Cross for assistance, Glendale firefighters said. Firefighters said it took a couple hours to control the blaze because of a large wooden beam that ran through the ceiling of the basement. Firefighters had to tear out parts of the walls and ceiling in …
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Unattended food cooking on a kitchen stove led to the ferocious fire that left five families homeless.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Mike Jones
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Unattended food cooking on an apartment stove led to Sunday morning’s fierce apartment fire in Bridgeville, investigators have determined. Allegheny County Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Don Brucker told Chartiers Valley Patch that a man visiting a woman in the rear first floor apartment apparently left oil and food cooking on top of the stove and accidentally fell asleep. Desiree King told WPXI-TV that the fire appeared to have started in her unit. She told the television station that she awoke to smoke and saw a fire in her kitchen. Bridgeville fire officials previously said the blaze appeared to start in the back corner of the building. Brucker said no criminal charges would be filed. “There’s nothing to support anything except it being an …
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
One couple living in the apartment complex is scheduled to get married this weekend.
The American Red Cross is helping at least four people displaced by Sunday morning’s apartment fire in Bridgeville. Red Cross spokeswoman Lauren Chapman said they are helping one adult and another couple with a child by providing them with food, shelter and clothing for the next the days. “We help with people’s immediate needs,” Chapman said. “The first few days of a disaster, we’re able to help them with temporary shelter and clothing.” Chapman said she could not identify who the Red Cross is helping, but added that the family of three lived in the severely damaged house next to the destroyed apartment building. She said they will be able to help them over the next three days, but is unsure if any local organizations or donation funds …
Sunday, February 5, 2012
No one was injured in the early Sunday morning blaze on Baldwin Street.
A ferocious fire destroyed a four-unit apartment building in Bridgeville and severely damaged a neighboring home early Sunday morning, although no one was injured in the blaze. Bridgeville firefighters were called to the building at 667 Baldwin St. around 3:30 a.m. and worked to control the fire from spreading to the house next door. Fire Chief Bill Chilleo said everyone inside the apartment building escaped uninjured, but the building and much of the residents’ contents were destroyed. He said Bridgeville police are working with the American Red Cross to take care of the residents. “There’s nothing left of the back of the house,” Chilleo said. By 10 a.m., firefighters were still locating hot spots and waiting for crews to demolish the …