Friday, March 22, 2013
Heidelberg firefighters are rallying around one of their own members after his house was destroyed by fire early Thursday morning, leaving six people homeless. Find out how you can help the family.
Heidelberg firefighters are rallying around one of their own members after his house was destroyed by fire early Thursday morning, leaving six people homeless. The home at 476 First St. sustained major damage after the blaze began shortly after midnight Thursday and rekindled hours later. Firefighter Jason Adkins, who has been a member for seven years, shared the home with his wife, their two boys, and his father and grandmother. The American Red Cross is helping the family and paying for them to stay in a hotel and providing them with supplies. Heidelberg fire Chief Joe Wissel Jr. said his department is also working to get donations from the community to help the family. Wissel said everyone, including the family’s dogs, made it out …
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The Allegheny County fire marshal’s office is investigating how a fire started inside a Scott Township home Monday afternoon and why it spread so quickly.
The Allegheny County fire marshal’s office is investigating how a fire started inside a Scott Township home Monday afternoon. Firefighters were called to the home at 119 Bygate Circle shortly after 1 p.m. and found the kitchen and hallway engulfed in flames. “It was rocking pretty good,” Glendale fire Chief Tom Salerno said of the flames. “There was a lot of heat.” Salerno said the home’s resident called them after he found a towel on fire in the kitchen. Moments later, the fire spread to the hallway, causing severe damage to the home, Salerno said. Two Allegheny County fire marshals were at the scene by 2 p.m. after firefighters had contained the blaze. Salerno said they called the Allegheny County fire marshals because firefighters aren’…
Monday, January 28, 2013
A fire inside a Scott Township home quickly spread and caused substantial damage to the residence Monday afternoon. No was one injured in the fire.
A fire inside a Scott Township home quickly spread and caused substantial damage to the residence Monday afternoon. Firefighters were called to the home at 119 Bygate Circle just off Swallow Hill Road around 1:14 p.m. after a resident came home and found a towel on fire, Glendale fire Chief Tom Salerno said. He said the fire then quickly spread from the kitchen down the hallway. “It was rocking pretty good,” Salerno said. “There was a lot of heat.” He said firefighters were able to contain the fire quickly, but it still caused “quite a bit of damage.” The Allegheny County fire marshal was called to the scene to investigate. No injuries were reported. Sign up for our Daily E-mail Newsletter or Like the Chartiers Valley Patch Facebook page
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze that began in the basement of a Cook School Road home.
Bridgeville firefighters quickly snuffed out a blaze that began in the basement of a Cook School Road home. Fire crews were called to 1276 Cook School Rd. shortly after 11 a.m. when a resident called emergency dispatchers to report smoke coming from the basement. Bridgeville fire Lt. Jeff Czerniejewski said a pile of clothes lying on top of a freezer’s electrical chord ignited the fire in the basement. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Czerniejewski said the resident called 911 and roused his sister so they could get out of the house. “It could’ve been worse, but the son did what he needed to do,” Czerniejewski said. The home suffered only minor smoke damage with only a little bit of debris in the basement. A portion …
Monday, April 16, 2012
Four fire departments responded to the Sunday morning blaze in Mt. Lebanon.
Several local departments responded to a fire that broke out in a Mt. Lebanon home shortly before noon Sunday. The fire began around 11:30 a.m. at 393 Broadmoor Ave. near Castle Shannon. One woman was treated for burns, according to a report by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Her name and the severity of her burns was not immediately known. The cause of the fire is under investigation.The fire departments of Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Whitehall and Bethel Park responded. To read the Post-Gazette's story, click here. To read WTAE's story, click here. This story originally appeared on Dormont-Brookline Patch
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Steelers officials say running backs coach Kirby Wilson remains in critical condition after being burned on more than 45 percent of his body in a fire earlier this month at his home.
The Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday released an update on running backs Coach Kirby Wilson’s condition on behalf of the coach's family. The 50-year-old was severely burned on Jan. 6 when an early-morning fire broke out in his townhouse in Seven Fields, Butler County. He was flown by medical helicopter to UPMC Mercy in Pittsburgh, where he remains in critical condition in the hospital's Trauma Burn Center. "In addition to burns sustained over 45 percent of his body, he has suffered a smoke inhalation injury and will require multiple operative procedures in the future," the Steelers statement said. An answer to what caused the fire at Wilson’s home also may soon be on the way. Fire Marshal Luke Nelson of the state police barracks in Butler …
Monday, October 31, 2011
A dog died in the house fire on Sillview Drive.
A house fire in Scott Township prompted a response from numerous area fire departments Monday afternoon. Firefighters responded to the house fire at 1720 Sillview Drive shortly after 3 p.m. in which a household dog died. The owner of the home was at work and not inside the residence at the time of the fire. Bower Hill fire Chief John Levi said there was heavy smoke damage inside the home and that the origin of the fire appeared to begin around the electric stove in the kitchen. The fire caused heavy damage to the kitchen and nearby dining room, and smoke damage to the rest of the house. “We got it knocked down pretty fast,” Levi said. He added the Allegheny County fire marshal determined the cause of the fire as accidental. Fire …