Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze that began in the basement of a Cook School Road home.
Bridgeville firefighters quickly snuffed out a blaze that began in the basement of a Cook School Road home. Fire crews were called to 1276 Cook School Rd. shortly after 11 a.m. when a resident called emergency dispatchers to report smoke coming from the basement. Bridgeville fire Lt. Jeff Czerniejewski said a pile of clothes lying on top of a freezer’s electrical chord ignited the fire in the basement. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. Czerniejewski said the resident called 911 and roused his sister so they could get out of the house. “It could’ve been worse, but the son did what he needed to do,” Czerniejewski said. The home suffered only minor smoke damage with only a little bit of debris in the basement. A portion …
Saturday, June 2, 2012
The beloved Sarris Candies ice cream parlour in Canonsburg re-opened Friday after fire damaged it in February.
After a fire on Feb. 3 damaged a portion of the Sarris Candies factory on Adams Avenue, the beloved ice cream parlour remained closed. Until Friday morning. With a full blessing, ribbon cutting and dedications from many local, county and state officials, the iconic Sarris ice cream parlour is back in business and better than ever. It has the same old-fashioned feel, the same great flavors, and the same dedication and family values behind it that the Sarris family has come to be known for in the local and surrounding areas. “Many of you ran with boots on feet, buckets in hand to say, ‘What can we do?’ It wasn’t to save chocolate or to save castles, it was to stand by a family who has stood by you for so many decades,” said the Rev. George…
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Organizers of Tuesday afternoon's mock crash at Chartiers Valley High School hope it teaches students to think twice before driving recklessly.
With artificial blood splattered across her forehead and real glass sticking to her arm, Jordan James got a close-up glimpse at emergency responders as they worked on a simulated two-car crash in the Chartiers Valley High School parking lot. The junior was eager to play a “victim” in Tuesday afternoon’s mock crash demonstration that was supposed to teach students the dangers of drunken driving and being reckless behind the wheel. That is, until two workers from the Allegheny County medical examiner’s office zipped her up in a body bag. “That was really scary,” she said. Dave Harhai, who teaches government studies at the high school, said they conduct the mock crash every two years right before prom so juniors and seniors can see what …
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
A ferocious fire in East Carnegie destroyed the Mike Jones Floor Co. business on Noblestown Road.
An early-morning building fire destroyed the Mike Jones Floor Company business on Noblestown Road in East Carnegie. Fire crews from East Carnegie Volunteer Fire Department in Scott Township and several other departments were alerted shortly before 6 a.m. and battled the blaze for more than three hours. Firefighters initially went into a defensive position while battling the blaze in the flooring business located at 235 Noblestown Road because of the amount of flammable glue and construction materials, East Carnegie fire Chief Adam Kauer said. He said those materials “fed the fire” before the rear of the structure collapsed. However, firefighters were able to prevent the blaze from spreading to the neighboring Chartiers Valley Self-…
Monday, April 16, 2012
Four fire departments responded to the Sunday morning blaze in Mt. Lebanon.
Several local departments responded to a fire that broke out in a Mt. Lebanon home shortly before noon Sunday. The fire began around 11:30 a.m. at 393 Broadmoor Ave. near Castle Shannon. One woman was treated for burns, according to a report by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Her name and the severity of her burns was not immediately known. The cause of the fire is under investigation.The fire departments of Mt. Lebanon, Dormont, Whitehall and Bethel Park responded. To read the Post-Gazette's story, click here. To read WTAE's story, click here. This story originally appeared on Dormont-Brookline Patch
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
A fire that started in the basement of a three-unit apartment in Scott early Tuesday morning left at least four without a home.
At least four people are displaced from their residences after fire started in the basement of a three-unit apartment building in Scott Township early Tuesday morning. Six departments responded to the fire on Mansfield Avenue shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday that apparently started in the basement and caused heavy smoke to billow from the building, Glendale firefighters said. The residents are displaced, but were able to find their own living arrangements and won’t have to use the American Red Cross for assistance, Glendale firefighters said. Firefighters said it took a couple hours to control the blaze because of a large wooden beam that ran through the ceiling of the basement. Firefighters had to tear out parts of the walls and ceiling in …
Friday, March 2, 2012
Sarris Candies, which has been closed since a Feb. 3 fire, reopened Thursday just in time for Easter.
Easter is a holiday steeped in tradition, and for so many local families, a trip to Sarris Candies for chocolately treats is part of theirs. That tradition can go on unfettered starting today—because the retail shop in Canonsburg is now officially reopened. The store had been closed since a Feb. 3 fire, but the shop was in full swing Thursday, as customers perused everything from chocolate-covered pretzels to chocolate Easter bunnies. Although the day was overcast, Spring looked like it had already arrived at the venerable shop, with pastel colors dominating the interior design. Customers were greeted with oversized stuffed bunnies and at least one fluffy yellow duck at the door—as well as Retail Operations Manager Norm Candelore. "Welcome…
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
The owner of the Sarris Candies said he expects the store to be open within the month.
Oversized stuffed animals wearing festive Valentine's Day bows sat atop shelves of boxed chocolates at Sarris Candies. A counter nearby is lined with chocolate bars. Stacks of chocolate-covered pretzels are arranged in another corner of the Canonsburg retail hot spot. But owner Bill Sarris held his hand out and beckoned to the whole lot of it, saying, "All of this—it has to go." And that's what workers were doing Monday at the store: Cleaning chandeliers and cleaning up after a fire erupted in the parlour portion of the building on Friday—and throwing away pounds and pounds of chocolate and other merchandise. A sign is posted on the door alerting customers that the store in still closed by order of the state fire marshal, and the smell of …
Friday, January 6, 2012
Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson suffered burns to his legs and arms in the Friday morning house fire.
Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilso was badly burned early Friday morning when fire swept through his Butler County townhouse. Firefighters from Adams Township, Cranberry Township and Callery responded to the blaze at 2:30 a.m. at the Seven Fields residence. Neighbors in the townhouse community where Wilson lives said smoke was pouring out of the house after a stove caught fire in the kitchen. Wilson, who was the only person in the townhouse, was badly burned. David Van Atta, who lives next door at 139 Jameson Way, said the smell of smoke from the fire woke him and his mother, who lives with him. Van Atta, who said he formerly was a volunteer firefighter, said he called 911 after looking outside and seeing smoke. He ran …
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Two men are charged with using Bacardi 151 rum to set the fire.
Two men face multiple charges after police said they poured Bacardi 151 rum on a Heidelberg man’s leg and set him on fire while he slept on a couch. The man suffered severe burns and police said the two suspects put everyone else in the 13-unit apartment complex in danger. Steve Iorio had been out at the bar with friends on Sept. 22 when he passed out at a West Railroad Street apartment, Heidelberg police Chief Vernon Barkley said. As Iorio slept, police said the two other men, Brandon Washington, 25, of Collier Township, and David A. Blair Jr., 31, of Heidelberg, poured Bacardi 151 rum on his leg. Police said Washington and Blair Jr. then ignited the rum, which has a high alcohol content and is very flammable, severely burning the back of…