Police Apprehend Suspects in Forest Hills Burglary

The duo fled from the scene of a break-in on Woodside Road Jan. 14 but were arrested after a search by Forest Hills police, assisted by other local departments.

Demond D. Hayes, 20, is facing charges of receiving stolen property, burglary and criminal mischief filed by Forest Hills police in connection with a burglary Jan. 14 in the 300 block of Woodside Road.

A preliminary hearing on the charges is set for 9 a.m. Wednesday before District Judge Thomas Caulfield in his Forest Hills courtroom.

A juvenile male is also facing charges in connection with the break-in.

About 11:14 p.m. last Monday, two Forest Hills officers responded to a report of a burglary in progress at a Woodside Road home. The dispatcher had reported the homeowner was chasing two men, dressed in black, down Woodside toward Cherry Valley Road.

Forest Hills officers, with help from neighboring departments, set up a five-block perimeter and K-9 units were brought in to track the suspects. A Braddock Hills officer spotted two men matching the description run from a yard onto Sherwood Road.

He ordered them to stop running and told them to get on the ground. One man, identified as Hayes, complied and was arrested without incident. The other man, later identified as a juvenile, ran back through yards and officers lost sight of him.

While the perimeter tightened and a second track by K-9 dogs started, an East Pittsburgh officer was approached by a man near the break-in asking for directions to get home. When the man could not produce identification, the officer patted him down for safety reasons and found items taken from the Woodside Road home.

The Braddock Hills officer identified him as the man who had fled, and the juvenile was taken into custody. Police took both suspects to the Forest Hills station for questioning and processing.

According to a police report, Hayes admitted to committing the burglary. The juvenile's parents came to the station and he, too, confessed to the burglary.

Hayes was taken to Allegheny County Jail but unable to post the $3,000 bail. Shuman Detention Center would not take the juvenile because he suffered a hand laceration and because his parents were on the scene, the report states.


"Like" Patch on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Sign up for our daily email newsletter.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »