The Allegheny County fire marshal’s office is investigating how a fire started inside a Scott Township home Monday afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the home at 119 Bygate Circle shortly after 1 p.m. and found the kitchen and hallway engulfed in flames.
“It was rocking pretty good,” Glendale fire Chief Tom Salerno said of the flames. “There was a lot of heat.”
Salerno said the home’s resident called them after he found a towel on fire in the kitchen. Moments later, the fire spread to the hallway, causing severe damage to the home, Salerno said.
Two Allegheny County fire marshals were at the scene by 2 p.m. after firefighters had contained the blaze.
Salerno said they called the Allegheny County fire marshals because firefighters aren’t sure how the towel in the kitchen ignited and why it spread so quickly.
No one was injured in the fire.
The house is located close to Chartiers Valley Intermediate School, although traffic was not adversely affected during dismissal. Only Hope Street and Bygate Circle were closed while firefighters responded to the fire.