When it starts getting chilly outside, I start craving comfort food, and homemade maccaroni and cheese is one of my favorites.
This recipe from AllRecipes.com is the closest I've found to the way my mom makes it—I don't think my mom and I ever wrote down the one we make, so this will have to do!
Here's what you need:
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
Here's what you do:
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes. Serve.
Here's the link to the original recipe on AllRecipes.com.