Who says you need a campfire to enjoy s'mores? Yes, that makes it fun but here's an easy recipe minus the mess. In honor of National S'mores Day, which was Friday, we're sharing Taste of Home's "Give Me S'more" Cake recipe.
For some more s'more recipes, click here.
"Give Me S'more" Cake
Prep: 50 minutes | Bake: 20 minutes, plus cooling | Yield: 12 servings
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine cracker crumbs and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup frosting and sprinkle with half of chips. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake; sprinkle with remaining chips.
1 slice equals 483 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 309 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.