Readers' Choice: Where's Your Favorite Staycation?
With the economy tight, we want to know where in western Pennsylvania is your favorite Staycation!
We all know that the economy is tough nowadays, so we at Patch want to find ways for families to enjoy a summer vacation on the cheap.
There are plenty of places to have a great summer vacation without spending a lot of money.
You can go to Kennywood, ride the bike trails, spend a day at the trolley museum, relax at the local park, take in an auto race, ride a boat or hit some golf balls.
We at Patch are calling it a Staycation!
And we want to know where your favorite local place is to spend a weekend without spending a lot of money. We’ve given a brief description of places to visit below, so vote in the poll or offer your own suggestions in the comment sections!
- The Panhandle and Montour trails offer nearly limitless biking and walking paths for people who want to get some exercise and enjoy nature.
- Take a ride on Nautical Nature, a 45-passenger enclosed pontoon boat and Moraine State Park's premier attraction. Enjoy learning about the area's natural history and osprey reintroduction, while appreciating the unique scenery and wildlife on an exciting trip around Lake Arthur.
- Kennywood Park ... Do we need to give any description?
- The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington came to fruition in the 1940s and continues to be a go-to stop for families. The museum has more than 50 historic street railway vehicles preserved and visitors can enjoy a scenic four-mile ride back in time.
- Dormont Park is a family-friendly stay-cation destination, with tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic pavillions and a ball field. For those hot summer days, Dormont Pool is the perfect place to cool off.
- Look for the "Fab Four" Racing at Lernerville Speedway every Friday night in May. The Ti22 Performance DIRTcar Sprints, Precise Racing Products DIRTcar Late Models, Diehl Auto Group DIRTcar Northeast Modifieds and Millerstown Pic-A-Part DIRTcar Sportsman will race every Friday night.
- Sandcastle Water Park is the best place to get a tan and enjoy some cool water.
- Raccoon State Park in Beaver County is a beautiful retreat that offers families an inexpensive vacation that won’t drain the bank account.
- Or you can go to the Depreciation Lands Museum in Hampton, Hartwood Acres, Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve, Conley's Family Resort on Route 8, BladeRunners in Warrendale, Harmarville and Bethel Park, The Ice Connection in Valencia or Jump Zone in Allison Park.