Firefighters Snuff Out Bridgeville House Fire
Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze that began in the basement of a Cook School Road home.
Bridgeville firefighters quickly snuffed out a blaze that began in the basement of a Cook School Road home.
Fire crews were called to 1276 Cook School Rd. shortly after 11 a.m. when a resident called emergency dispatchers to report smoke coming from the basement.
Bridgeville fire Lt. Jeff Czerniejewski said a pile of clothes lying on top of a freezer’s electrical chord ignited the fire in the basement. Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze.
Czerniejewski said the resident called 911 and roused his sister so they could get out of the house.
“It could’ve been worse, but the son did what he needed to do,” Czerniejewski said.
The home suffered only minor smoke damage with only a little bit of debris in the basement.
A portion of Cook School Road was still closed by noon while crews cleaned up at the scene.