Caregiver Accused of Bilking Elderly Woman Heading to Trial
A caregiver accused of bilking an elderly woman out of $11,000 last year is heading to trial on more than two dozen forgery charges. Read about that and other preliminary hearings in the weekly district court round-up.
A caregiver accused of bilking an elderly woman out of $11,000 last year is heading to trial on more than two dozen forgery charges.
Beverly A. Seifert, 52, of Findlay Township, waived her right to a preliminary hearing on 25 charges of forgery and one count each of theft, access device fraud and bad checks. Her preliminary hearing with District Judge Maureen McGraw-Desmet was held on Dec. 10.
Collier police say she was working as a caregiver for a Fairacre Court resident whose “health was declining” and used the woman’s checks and credit cards to spend $11,000 over the past year. Seifert allegedly began using the elderly woman’s account in late 2011, police said.
Charges waived to court
- Numerous charges of theft, receiving stolen property and altering identification against Daron D. Parks, 19, of Bridgeville were waived to court. Parks was charged on Oct. 8 after Bridgeville police said he took four guns from a borough home on Sept. 20.
- Two charges of possession of a controlled substance against Todd Zurman, 49, of Carnegie, were waived to court while a subsequent possession charge was withdrawn. South Fayette police charged Zurman on Oct. 4.
- Drunken driving and reckless driving charges against Liana Sittler, 22, of Mt. Lebanon, were waived to court. Bridgeville police charged Sittler on Dec. 4.
- Drunken driving charges against Frances Weaver, 60, of Scott Township, were waived to court. Collier Township police arrested Weaver on May 27.
Charges held for court
- Charges of possession with intent to deliver and possession of controlled substance against Maurice Johnson, 28, of McKees Rocks, were held for court. Scott Township police charged Johnson on Sept. 7.
- Charges of drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, DUI, evidence tampering and numerous traffic citations against James Englehart, 23, of Pittsburgh, were held for court. Heidelberg police charged Englehart on Oct. 27.
Charges waived to court
- Charges of simple assault, retail theft and reckless driving against Alexander R. Sinclair, 19, of McDonald, were waived to court. Two robbery counts were withdrawn. Scott Township police charged Sinclair on Nov. 30.
- Charges of drunken driving and careless driving against Christopher P. Artman, 26, of Pittsburgh, were waive to court. Scott Township police arrested Artman on Aug. 5.
- A drunken driving charge against Raymond Barringer, 33, of Clairton, was waived to court. Heidelberg police charged Barringer on Oct. 7.
Charges reduced or withdrawn
- A harassment charge against Joseph Frank, 57, of Scott, was reduced to a non-traffic citation while a simple assault charge was withdrawn. Scott Township police charged Frank on Oct. 22.